Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Week 3: Up from the lowest, Crab Louis (AKA Louie)... A Tearful Tale...




While I would love to say every recipe I make tastes awesome, this week has been one of angst and defeat...

The first run were Chicken and Fish enchiladas, they looked beautiful, however the taste?!? Yeah… My advice, beware of the cilantro, it can help and it can kill a dish, quickly… The sauce I made and use inside killed it - My buddy Dave suggested the enchiladas, good call, the web recommended the cilantro - should have stuck to Dave's idea alone - boo on me!

The close looser, I mean winner – Crab Louis… While I have never made my own thousand island dressing , I was quickly disappointed that this was what I was making – it was on sale for $1.50 at Ralphs and we spent $1.99 alone for the scallions – I’d figure epicurious would monitor the posts when a dish is rated 4 forks, and called “gourmet” guess not… Anyhow, almost 7 year old chef bailey opted for the remaining boiled eggs and apple slices, while Shawn and I powered through the 3 servings – it was good, just not “gourmet” – If some chef placed that in front of me and tried to charge me even $15 as an entrĂ©e, I’d laugh all the way to the complaint box….

The recipe can be found here - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/reviews/Crab-Louis-106264?pg=2 – It has quite a few pricey ingredients to make a very inexpensive to buy pre-made dressing – just grab a bottle and toss in some chili powder/ crushed red pepper and you’ll have the same sauce – I wasn’t disgusted, I actually liked it, it just wasn’t what I had hoped it would be, but shame on me for not knowing what 1000 Island dressing is made of – now I know…

Hopefully next week will yield some more positive comments, but with all good, there is always some bad…

~Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment